Sunday, October 03, 2010

"Read More" for Blogger users

As I update my blog and moved to my new URL, I wanted to improve on the blog's over all awesomeness. OR okay-ness, I guess XD

Among functionality that I always wanted to have was the "Read More>>" link you would usually see in blogs when a post is too long and would otherwise make the Home page much longer than it has to be. Apparently, up until Blogger's 10th anniversary, there was no built-in feature for that. There's a long process of editing HTML codes, but that didn't work for me as my blog template is XML-based.

So, until Blogger's tenth, only Wordpress users had this function.

Now, you want to know how to enable Read More for your blogger?




Here's how:

Step 1

Check on "Make Blogger in Draft my default dashboard".












Step 2

Create a new post or edit an existing one.
1. Move to the Compose Tab.
2. Click on Insert jump break anywhere within the post.
3. You will see this line where your text cursor was at when you inserted a jump break. That's where the Read More>> link will appear and all items below it will be hidden away and effectively making your default Home/Index page a lot shorter than it would be otherwise.



















After so much coding combat, it was really that simple.
Hope this helps!

Z

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...